Saturday 27 June 2015

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer




This is by far one of the most transformational books in my life. I guess I picked it at the right time, when I’m 23 and eager to travel and live an adventurous life. I cried a lot, laughed a lot, awed and I can honestly say that this book moved me. 


So basically this is a story of a guy who decided to live in the wild conditions without people, any preparations and only with basic knowledge. And he died. Some may say he was a fool, a rich kid who got bored. Or just plain and stupid. Pretentious. Well Chris wasn’t any of that. He was maybe too young and idealistic. And didn’t understand all the troubles he will meet on his journey. He made a mistake, but he was only a human. Mistakes are in our nature, nobody is perfect. At least he tried to live the life he wanted to live instead of just existing like most humans do. And he did succeed, well almost. Unfortunately.





I must admit Chris is similar to me in many aspects so I’m quite biased toward him I guess. And all this adventurous life outside a comfort zone got its romantic flavor. Into the Wild is a whole new different level of Kerouac’s legacy. Let’s get our lessons out of this: do not let romanticism of travelling carry you away, always think beforehand about everything and think realistically. But do live the life you want to life however are too afraid. Dare to do it because you are afraid. For Chris was way more alive than any of people surrounded him.

 Definitely this book is one of my favorites now.  




P.S. Leo freaking Tolstoy, you totally messed with guy’s mind. Hadn’t abandoned his rich life for poor and free one though. 

P.P.S. Here’s some dope tune from the movie for the atmosphere. 


No comments:

Post a Comment