Tuesday 15 July 2014

Demon pox, oh demon pox

“Life is a book and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read.” 

I haven’t cried like this for years. This story touched me deep. It is by far very different from The Mortal Instrument series. I can’t say what is better what is worse, they’re just different. But The Infernal Devices would really move you.I lost counting on how many times Tessa freaked me out, buy myself I’m more like her than Clary. I used to think eternal life is a gift. After reading A Clockwork Princess I understood it was a burden. I didn’t understand why it was so hard for Magnus to fall in love with Alec and to start serious relationships. But now I see. It is not only hard because you are lonely or because you see everyone you’ve ever loved dying. Forgetting is terrifying. After all the pain of loss your memory can give you up and you just forget. You would forget the color of eyes, favorite book or catchphrase hope Tessa’s life would be more bright even when Jem would leave her.


“We live and breathe words. .... It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them. Reading your words, what you wrote, how you were lonely sometimes and afraid, but always brave; the way you saw the world, its colors and textures and sounds, I felt--I felt the way you thought, hoped, felt, dreamt. I felt I was dreaming and thinking and feeling with you. I dreamed what you dreamed, wanted what you wanted--and then I realized that truly I just wanted you.” 







Parabatai – phenomenon which Clarissa Clare imagined and wrote into her stories keeps surprising me. These are people with bond which far stronger that even blood or romantic ones. We first meet parabatai in the TMI, but exactly in TID this issue is showed in the brightest light. Will’s suffering when he thought Jem was dead are very alike to those when you lose someone relative and close to you. It is really wonderful that they went through all these years side by side even if in not exactly that way they imagined. 



“Will rose slowly to his feet. He could not believe he was doing what he was doing, but it was clear that he was, clear as the silver rim around the black of Jem’s eyes. “If there is a life after this one,” he said, “let me meet you in it, James Carstairs.”
“There will be other lives.” Jem held his hand out, and for a moment, they clasped hands, as they had done during their parabatai ritual, reaching across twin rings of fire to interlace their fingers with each other. “The world is a wheel,” he said. “When we rise or fall, we do it together.”
Will tightened his grip on Jem’s hand, which felt thin as twigs in his. “Well, then,” he said, through a tight throat, “since you say there will be another life for me, let us both pray I do not make as colossal a mess of it as I have this one.” 

Tessa was more than lucky to have two great loves in her life and to spend so many years with each of them. But the moment Jem dies will come eventually and it’s terrifying. When he is old and dying-without Will at his side-she would stay truly on her own. But they have lots of adventures by that time.
Frankly I liked A Clockwork Prince less because I can’t stand books about love triangles. I always want to slap the one who is in charge of it. In my opinion it is impossible to love two people equally and truthfully at the same time. Its pure selfishness. One will be always a little bit closer to you than another. There are a lot of reasons for such triangles. The fear of being alone, incapability of letting go or get that person hurt. But Cassandra Clare showed that it is really possible to love two people wholeheartedly. And it was beautiful

 I used to love Magnus above them all in TMI but now I should add Will and Jem to the list of my favourite characters for they are such sweet characters to read about.


All in all I liked this series. I 
recommend it to all Shadowhunters’ fans. 

P.S. I mean like look at those covers. They are sooooo cool!


“You endure what is unbearable, and you bear it. That is all.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment