Saturday 26 July 2014

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams

“I've got the guts to die. What I want to know is, have you got the guts to live?”



Tennessee Williams again on the strength and weaknesses. A theme so rich it’s hardly believable that this play is so small (like all the plays). When woman chooses she loves her husband strong enough for them both even if he can’t answer her love. When man chooses to spare his life drinking because his lover died and he can’t bare it without him. When man lives for several hours between his hope and deathful diagnosis. When he finds out that his wife has actually loved him all the years they lived together. This is what I call a real theatre.
I regret having not seen any of Tennessee’s plays on stage. I think they are not very popular here in Ukraine which is sad. But at least we have a chance to read them.
There’s so much more to this play. I definitely recommend reading it. Not because it’s exciting. Indeed it is. But what is more, again, you question yourself. Could I love someone for 30+ years without having back this love? Could I bear loving a person who can never love me back because of homosexuality? Could I bear dying after living for that several hours in joy and hope, surrounded by my family? These questions are hard and most definitely our ego would answer “no” to all of them. Until Love comes on the stage. When you love you barely make a choice. You can’t leave a person who doesn’t love you back because you are not selfish anymore; you are not just you anymore. You are you and you are person you love, every singles piece of them. There are no such words to describe love, you can only feel it.
Tennessee Williams will show you that love and marriage are not necessarily fairytales. But it is still love. 
“What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof?—I wish I knew... Just staying on it, I guess, as long as she can...”  

No comments:

Post a Comment