Monday 27 January 2014

Breakfast at Tiffany's review

Good luck and believe me, dearest Doc - it's better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear.



How people can do such an amusing film out of such dull book is sorcery for me. And that's not just because of different ending no sir. The book and the film showed us two different women: a woman who found what she was looking for and a woman who still tries to find it and maybe she never will.
Personally I did not like this bookish Holly. She seemed to me rather flat and narrow, a girl who totally depends on someone else. She sort of makes this for living - allowes wealthy men to pay her just for spending time with her or without spending any time. I kind of disapprove such lifestyle, that’s my personal position. She’s young and full of energy - why doesn’t she become someone, why doesn’t she want to become? 
About her character. As a matter of fact I couldn't understand fully her emotions, actions, the reasons for her behaviour. Of course we were told that she has lost her baby, her parents, her 'friends',her beloved brother therefore she was broken and to shelter herself she acted like that. But still that seems quite strange. She really acts like nothing really matters. Like she cries that nobody needs her and can't see really good man (the narrator) who's just always there for her. It seems illogical.
I feel bad for the narrator as he really counted that they could work something out of that. 
I don't want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together.


But Holly Golightly isn’t just a woman. She’s a symbol and by far very bright symbol. The symbol of people’s spirits during the war when being careless was really more preferable than being worried. People tried to be as distracted as they could possibly be and Truman Capote has caught these spirits brilliantly. 

I can't really recommend this book to anybody who wants to enjoy a nice romantic book. But to those who want to read something fresh and different, to feel the spirit of that time this book is highly
 recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment